Gender Violence in Argentina
The young people are the ones that declare themselves knowing more cases of gender violence personally and are more active in order to make this problem visible.
In its vocation to deepen the knowledge of Argentine society and within the framework of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, in 2016 Voices! carried out a research on gender violence that tries to shed light on the problem and become a source for those who work on public policies related to this issue.
Some findings of the study:
- The vast majority of Argentinians (82%) believe that Gender Violence has grown in the last 10 years.
- 54% say that gender violence will increase in the coming years.
- 45% of Argentinians say they know a woman who has been a victim of gender violence.
- Drug addiction and alcoholism are the main causes of gender violence, mentioned by 66% and 57% respectively.
- A quarter of the Argentinian population said that they had participated in a protest in the past year, signed a petition or shared information on gender-based violence on social networks.